<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Monday, September 05, 2005

Melons and philosophy 

This advert, as well as amusing me on the rare occasions that I see it, also gets me thinking. My favourite bit is the wizened old man on the donkey at the end, who says in a rather pathetic tone: "I just want to buy a melon..."

His exasperation at an apparently simple request that cannot be fulfilled is somewhat symbolic of how we have complicated our world and our lives with an ever-increasing array of choices which purport to enrich our life experience but which actually end up bewildering us, making us feel inadequate, forcing us to constantly question our choices or, on the flip side, condemning us to a stalemate of indecision.

Sometimes I crave simplicity.

Sometimes I just want to "buy a melon".

Hmmm, maybe I'm reading too much into this...

*slaps self*

Pick o' the pod, take two
  1. Show me love - Robin S
    A bassline that's sure to distort and is so deep that it's almost off note, yelling vocals and the obliviously cheerful, bubbly keyboards make this a shining example of the "old school". A real tune. In my humble opinion.
  2. Mad world - Tears for Fears
    Much prefer this eighties classic version to its recent, lugubrious cover by Gary Jules which only really made sense to me in the context of Donnie Darko.


<< Home

<< Home