<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Country road take me home... 

Dear "Dolly Daydream" in the "J" reg Fiat Uno

Were you aware that you were driving on a road with a speed limit of 60mph? Were you aware that the road ahead of you was perfectly clear and visibility was good? Were you aware of the long queue of traffic behind you as you pootled along at 35mph? Furthermore, when you finally found the accelerator, were you aware that, at that point, you were in a 30mph zone? In fact, were you aware of anything happening in the world around you as you trundled along?

I await your urgent response to this matter.

Love Anxious


Driving would be fine if I didn't have to share the roads with other drivers...

It seems that, in the West Country, there are two extremes of driving. There are the "Dolly Daydreams" of this world who are overly cautious on a clear road with good visibility (these are most usually found during the summer season) and there are the (usually Subaru driving) maniacs, hurtling down single track country lanes which, admittedly, they probably know like the back of their hands. Although, probably more significantly, what they don't know is what might be waiting for them around the next bend.

I have a friend who lives in a village only accessible by such roads. Every time I have to pick her up or drop her off, my blood pressure gets a thorough workout. As I drove back from a very long Sunday spent both running and recovering from the Great South Run, with my friend in tow, my heart sank as I realised that I would have to drop her home before I could finally relax for the evening.

Once she was safely despatched to her chocolate box village in Devon, I still had the ordeal of getting back to "civilisation" via some very dark, very spooky, very narrow roads. Only when lines started to reappear in the middle of the road and streetlights heralded the start of the urban sprawl (in as much as there is any urban sprawl down here), the whimpering finally began to subside.

Sometimes I think I'm just not ready for "the country". The M25, North Circular, South Circular or the one-way systems of central London hold no fears for me, but I'm not sure I'll ever get used to country lanes.


<< Home

<< Home