<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Sunday, November 05, 2006

The post-blogmeet serenity post 


Meeting other bloggers, especially - but not exclusively - the famous, infamous, fabulous, popular, successful ones, is always a nerve-racking business in its anticipation. But I think it's something which needs to be done from time to time, especially if you have an ongoing battle with blog anxiety.

What it reminds you of is that behind the multitude of blog personae, whether they be honest, confessional, aloof, witty, obscure or downright surreal, are a bunch of diverse, funny, intelligent, often shy, sometimes bonkers, utterly unique people. Yes, people! Humans! Furthermore, any inadequacy that I may feel in blog society is of my own making and therefore within my control.

I may not be able to compete with some other blogs in terms of number of readers, comments, critical acclaim, adulation or lucrative and exciting deals, but this is not a reflection on me as a person. As a human.

Once again, I come away from a blogmeet with a rare, almost serene, feeling. These are good people. I am a good person. We all write stuff. Sometimes the stuff we write is noticed by others, sometimes it is not. That's all, really. And whether we are noticed, paid vast sums of money, mentioned in the mainstream media or languishing in obscurity with a handful of readers is not indicative of real-life hierarchy, as much as it might feel like it sometimes.

I needed reminding of that, I think.


<< Home

<< Home