<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Weather girl 

As I walked back home through the park with the moon taking the edge off the darkness, I had one of those faintly smug half smiles on my face. I felt a little like the female protagonist of a bittersweet indie movie, where she has been on a journey with its ups and downs and, though she's not exactly where she wants to be yet, she's certainly on her way. Not a saccharine Hollywood ending, but just the glimpse of a new start.

I was on track to get home by 5pm, over an hour before I used to in the old job. I was out in the fresh air - rather fresher than I'd imagined. I made a mental note to take my gloves the following day.

Those years of driving to work have made me somewhat blasé about the prevailing weather conditions, using my car as umbrella, windshield or protection from the heat (though only if you have air con - which I was careful to ensure I did), only aware of the cold or rain for the short dash from house to car, car to office. But 25 minutes is ample time to get very cold, very wet or, in the summer, very sticky if you're walking. Now I must carefully consult the weather forecast before leaving, equipping myself appropriately for likely meteorological eventualities.

Hard to believe that something so simple as being able to walk to work could lighten my mood so effectively, but as I've said on previous occasions, it is simplicity that I crave. I now know exactly how long it will take me to get to work. My journey will no longer be affected by the school run, agricultural vehicles, maniac drivers or those who decide to use their car just because it's raining. I will get fresh air and exercise without really trying. I will no longer pollute the world around me just to go to a job that I don't really like anyway.

My mood was certainly helped further by the knowledge that the latest visit from an electrician had finally resolved our plumbing problems. Electrician, plumbing - yes, I know. Long and frankly rather embarrassing story.

I can't imagine that the work itself will be any less dull, but I get a bit of my life back.

There is another big upside to this job.

Bye bye Lotus Notes, it was "interesting" knowing you.
Hello again, Microsoft Outlook.

Now, I'm not normally a major supporter of Mr Gates' software emporium, but after two years of using the most unintuitive software I've ever come across (even my software is better ;)), I was almost pleased to see that stupid paperclip lurking around my inbox giving me useless tips.

But there is a downside. A big one.

No. Internet. Access.

No gmail chat, no paying of bills, checking of balances, googling of interesting facts or ogling of fabulous items. And this really could leave my blogging "career" hanging in the balance, unless I can come up with some real, business-based justification.

Thinking cap engaged.


<< Home

<< Home