<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Tuesday, April 03, 2007

We go out for the evening!!! 

Not really postworthy in normal life, but when you consider that I probably haven't been out for an evening for over a month, incarcerated as I was either at home or in hospital, it becomes rather more of an event. We'd booked this (second one down - Rich Hall) weeks ago, before I knew that I would have a serious illness, and once I'd acquired my illness, had kind of written it off as an "ah well, there'll be other times (although actually there probably won't be in a town like this)..." type situation.

But no, I've been feeling pretty well recently and have ventured out in the daytime for breakfasts and lunches out and short walks and expeditions to the shops and even a couple of short drives (after getting Mr AA to sort out the flat battery on my sulking, neglected, still unsold and probably unlikely-now-to-be-sold car) and felt that a couple of hours sitting in a theatre would not be beyond my capabilities. So off we went.

There were two surprises in store for us. Firstly, that there was a warm-up act and secondly, that the warm-up act was actually funnier than the headliner. Not that Rich wasn't funny in his signature lugubrious, curmudgeonly way, but Campbell was consistently laugh-out-loud funny for the short time that he was on stage. He really struck a chord with the West Country audience since he now lives locally and could observe the eccentricities of the Brits in general and West Country folk in particular, whilst also being sympathetic to the place he has adopted as his home and gently ribbing his Canadian origins.

It was slightly unfortunate for Hall that they both made the same joke, albeit about different places (Campbell - Saskatoon, Hall - Montana, the joke: it's so flat, you could watch your dog run away for five days...; Campbell got the laughs, Hall barely a ripple), but I would thoroughly recommend seeing both comedians if you haven't done so already.

I really enjoyed our evening out and it represented another milestone in my recovery.

Okay, so my hair is now falling out, a blow which I hadn't expected, but there are hats and wigs and jokes and it's only hair, after all.

One thing that intrigues me, though, is why it's just my head hair making a bid for freedom. Couldn't it have been some of the *ahem* other hairs which I'd actually quite like to get rid of...? I thought these so-called chemo drugs were supposed to be indiscriminate, yet here they are, choosing only to rid me of my crowning glory, the swines!!!


<< Home

<< Home