<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Don't judge a book... 

I've been tagged by B with the following challenge. She says:

"Tell me 5 things that people wouldn't be able to tell from looking at you"

  1. I have a rare auto-immune disorder which causes my body to attack its own blood vessels
    Well, that was easy for the first one, wasn't it?

  2. I am common
    Yep, common as muck. Not immediately apparent, as I am pretty good (I think...) at adapting myself to suit the social situation, but once I relax in someone's company, the cockney accent sneaks out and reveals my true roots.

    At secondary school, because I was usually top of the class, I was branded "posh" and "boffin" by the other children (obviously...?) and aside from that, I truly believed that our family was quite rich. I certainly didn't feel deprived, but within the confines of one's own childhood, it's hard to know what the norms are. In fact, we probably were rich compared to some of the children with whom I interacted at school.

    While I was growing up, "posh" to us meant one of those big houses in Chigwell (yes, that's Essex - to us, that was posh). It meant going to a school where you had to take an exam to get in and the uniform was standard issue rather than ours which just had to be kind of the right colour. We felt posh going shopping at the mall in Ilford rather than down Walthamstow market. It was only when I went to university that I learned the true meaning of "posh" and "rich" and it was at this point that I knew I was neither. No. Where. Near.

    So, I am common. I am neither proud nor ashamed of this fact. What's important, I think, is that life and work have brought me into contact with people from many echelons of society and I feel enriched by the diversity I have encountered. I think it has made me into a tolerant and open-minded person.

  3. I am *not* a Goth, nor am I trying to be
    Bit of an in-joke this one. Not that I have anything against Goths, but I'm just not one. I am naturally pale and raven-haired and black suits me best. I have a couple of Cure CDs, yes, but what girl of my generation/background/education doesn't? I think I am probably mistaken for a Goth less often nowadays, but it still happens often enough

  4. I am *not* confident
    I seem to exude an air of confidence which belies the quivering wreck I actually am beneath the surface. Remember when I went to that blogmeet and various people said I didn't seem anxious at all? Perhaps it's my height and the way I carry it - I refuse to slump. Perhaps it's the way I speak - I have quite a strong, deep voice and a hearty laugh. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but my appearance certainly appears to suggest a level of confidence way above the actual.

  5. I do not drink alcohol
    I hesitate to put "I am teetotal" because that makes it sound both final and very conscious, whereas my lack of drinking is neither. I just kind of stopped drinking, it tapered off and I felt I could live without it. I will have a glass of champagne to toast a happy couple but will and can go for months (years?) without a drink. My life feels no less rich without alcohol. Okay, I know, I'm a weirdo. I shall now crawl back into my hole...

This list was compiled with the help of Big, who has the benefit of seeing me from the outside.

If you'd like to have a go at this, please do. Remember, I won't tag you!


<< Home

<< Home