<$BlogRSDUrl$>

take one woman with low self esteem, but quite good hair
add one moronic illness
stir in some medication which causes hair to fall out
mix it all up and this is what you get...


Saturday, February 16, 2008

About a hundred years ago...* 

... the lovely Miss Tickle tagged me.

I am to come up with Six Random Things About Me, apparently. Now, having been blogging for nearly five years, there's probably not a lot you long-term readers don't know about me, but I'll see what I can do...
  1. I am quite simply incapable of sitting at a chair with my feet flat on the floor, as recommended by Health and Safety advisors the world over. I have a quite curious need to hoist one of my legs at an unlikely angle so that its ankle is resting on the other thigh. Sometimes I will go so far as to rest my foot on the desk top. I did this once without thinking, in a no-doubt vitally important "business meeting", much to the disbelief of my fellow attendees.

    These contortions inevitably end in pins and needles and an inability to walk until the feeling returns, but it is quite simply beyond my control.

    I am quite comfortable sitting cross-legged, even though I do precisely no yoga. My friend winces when she witnesses this. To wind her up, I show her how close I am to getting my leg right over my head. A useful skill, I think you'll agree.

  2. I played steel drums at school.

    We used to play "At The Sign of the Swinging Cymbal", which many Brits will know from the legendary Alan Freeman's "Pick of the Pops" radio show. If you put a "ping-pong" (tenor) steel drum in front of me today, some twenty years later, I could probably still play it, though I remember the movements required to make the tune more than the sequence of notes.

    I remember becoming emotional as I played, and I still get a shiver down my spine today when I hear "Wonderful Life" by Black - the only song I know with a (probably synthesised) steel drum rhythm section. I always focus my listening on the steel drums and imagine how easy it would be to play... Man, give me a steel drum!

  3. I am curiously drawn to singing harmonies, as opposed to the melody.

    When listening to my iPod in the car, I often find myself singing along, but virtually always with the harmony - sometimes making a harmony line up if it doesn't exist.

    I was once a member of a barbershop quintet. When I say a barbershop quintet, I mean that me and four friends used to get together and sing in a barbershop style. We never performed, but we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

    As I've mentioned before, I *love* singing.

  4. I am extraordinarily heavy.

    Before you click away with disgust at the sheer tediousness of this statement, this is not your typical "I'm too fat, I hate myself" rants (although I am, of course, too fat and hate myself).

    It is a simple fact that I am much, much heavier than anyone ever imagines. When I was in hospital, I noted several nurses checking the calibration of the scales in disbelief. Even when I was at my slimmest and running twenty odd miles per week, I was still a good couple of stone heavier than I looked. Most people would be horrified to be as heavy as I am, even considering my above-average height. I think I am living proof that there really is such a thing as "being big boned".

    This is one of the reasons that I try not to weigh myself. My measure is the relative snugness of the trouser.

  5. At the age of twelve, I was chosen from my school to attend "Mathematics Masterclasses" at the Royal Institution of Great Britain.

  6. I simply cannot walk in high heels. The end.



* give or take... um... about a hundred years.


<< Home

<< Home